Thursday, March 3, 2011

At Orange County Hate Rally, GOP Councilwoman Says She Wants Marines To Send Muslim Families To ‘Paradise’

Last month, the local chapter of the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) held a fundraiser in Orange County, CA to raise money for a womens’ shelter and for services for the homeless in Southern California.
While this isn’t a cause that most Americans would find objectionable, hundreds of far-right protesters descended on the event and jeered at and maligned the events’ attendees, who were mostly Muslim families who lived in the area. The local chapter of the civil rights group Council on American-Islamic Relations videotaped many of these demonstrators harassing the families as they entered the building, screaming, “Go back home!” and “You beat up your wife too? Are you a molester?” Watch it:
Perhaps even more disturbingly, a number of GOP elected officials spoke at the rally. Rep. Gary Miller (R-CA) said to the raucous and hateful crowd, “I’m proud of you, I’m proud of what you’re doing.” Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA) said that the multiculturalism “has paralyzed too many of our citizens to make the critical judgement we need to make to prosper as a society.” Most horrifying of all, Republican Villa Park Councilwoman Deborah Pauly, who spoke alongside the congressmen, said that the fundraiser represented “pure, unadulterated evil.” She continued, “I don’t even care if you think I’m crazy anymore. I have a beautiful daughter, I have a beautiful 19 year old son who is a United States marines. As a matter of fact, I know quite a few marines who will be willing to help these terrorists to an early meeting in paradise,” referring to the attendees of the fundraiser:
PAULY: Let me tell you, what’s going on over there right now? Make no bones about it. That is pure, unadulterated evil. I don’t even care, I don’t even care if you think I’m crazy anymore. Because I have, I have a beautiful daughter. I have a wonderful 19 year old son who is a United States Marine. As a matter of fact, I know quite a few marines who will be willing to help these terrorists to an early meeting in paradise.
Watch it:
One has to wonder if, as elected officials in the United States Congress, Royce and Miller truly approve of such vile hate speech being used against Muslim Americans like those in Orange County. You can contact their offices here and here to ask them. (HT:@GGreenwald)
UPDATEMany of the protester's complaints centered around the presence of "Imam Siraj Wahhah & Br. Amir Abdel Malik" at the fundraiser. Wahhaj was named by a U.S. attorney as a co-conspirator to the 1993 WTC bombings but was never found guilty of any crime. Malik has voiced support for anti-Semitic conspiracy theories in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment