Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Charles Barkley says he's sure he's had gay teammates . . . and doesn't care

Charles Barkley is a turrible golfer, just turrible ... but he's become a breath of fresh air in the sports broadcasting world.

And it's because of his candor in saying things like what he told theWashington Post's Mike Wise while taping Wise's radio show: that he he's sure he's had gay teammates on at least two of his NBA teams.

The interview came in the wake ofPhoenix Suns president and CEO Rick Welts coming out recently in a story in the New York Times.

From Wise:

Fears of feeling uncomfortable in the shower or the dressing areas, Barkley said, are unfounded in his experience.

“A guy is never going to put himself in that situation in a professional locker room,” Barkley said. “It never crossed my mind, and I never felt any different about the guy.”

Also weary of the perception that a majority of straight male athletes are intensely homophobic, Barkley said gay players pose no problem, adding, “Man, we need to outlaw guys who suck at sports.”

“I really like ESPN,” Barkley added. “They do a great job. But like once every two or three months, they bring all these people on there, and they tell me how me and my team are going to respond to a gay guy.

“First of all, every player has played with gay guys. It bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say, ‘Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.’ First of all, quit telling me what I think. I’d rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can’t play."
Two of many things we like about this: One is Barkley's dismissal of orientation as an issue and putting ability in the lead role. The second is that Barkley didn't name any names. If a player or former player wants to come out, it should be his decision, not something decided by someone else. 

We'll laugh uproariously every time Barkley swings a golf club, but we do so without malice. And we applaud his honesty and willingness to address the 800-pound canary in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment