Saturday, July 16, 2011

Jane Fonda: QVC Canceled My Appearance Because Of Vietnam Protest Boycott By Conservatives

Actress, advocate and author Jane Fonda ripped television shopping network QVC on Saturday for canceling the appearance slot she had scheduled on their airwaves to introduce and promote her new self-help memoir, "Prime Time." The cancelation, Fonda said in a post on her website, came as the network feared blowback promised by rightwing groups still unhappy with her outspoken opposition to the Vietnam War.

"I am, to say the least, deeply disappointed that QVC caved to this kind of insane pressure by some well funded and organized political extremist groups," Fonda, a two-time Oscar winner, wrote. "And that they did it without talking to me first. I have never shied away from talking about this as I have nothing to hide. I could have pointed out that threats of boycotts are nothing new for me and have never prevented me from having best selling books and exercise DVDs, films, and a Broadway play."

Fonda has continued to be involved in a number of causes since the Vietnam War ended, includingprotesting the War in Iraq, involvement in the debate over the Israel-Palestine conflict and advocating for women in media.

"Bottom line, this has gone on far too long, this spreading of lies about me!" Fonda continued in her blog post. "None of it is true. NONE OF IT! I love my country. I have never done anything to hurt my country or the men and women who have fought and continue to fight for us."

Fonda was especially upset that QVC did not notify their viewers of the cancelation, and has received support from fans on her Facebook page.

Read the rest of Fonda's blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment