Puppeteer Kevin Clash, who resigned amid controversy as Sesame Street's voice of Elmo, faces yet another allegation of underage sex.
In a lawsuit filed today, Clash is accused of sexual activity with a 16-year-old in 2000, according to the New York Daily News.
The unidentified accuser, now 29, alleges that he met Clash on a gay chat service about 13 years ago. His lawyer, Jeff Herman, told the paper that the two met at Clash's New York apartment and engaged in "some sexual activity."
The new allegation comes just a week after 24-year-old Cecil Singleton filed a lawsuit claiming that the two had inappropriate contact when Singleton was 15, according to TMZ.
Singleton, who is also represented by Herman, is suing Clash for more than $5 million in damages in that case.
Clash resigned from his longtime job at the children's television program after he was accused by yet another defendant, Sheldon Stephens, who also claims that he was 16 when Clash had sex with him.
In a confusing turn of events last week, Stephens recanted his story in a settlement with lawyers, and then renewed his accusations. Stephens claims that he was pressured into the flip-flop for a $125,000 settlement.
Sesame Workshop, the non-profit organization behind Sesame Street, issued a statement last Tuesday announcing Clash's resignation. According to the Wall Street Journal:
"Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin’s personal life has become a distraction that none of us wants, and he has concluded that he can no longer be effective in his job and has resigned from Sesame Street."
Clash maintains that he never had sex with a minor, and his lawyer told the Daily News that the newest allegations have "no merit."
Update: Elmo’s Kevin Clash Gets Sued By Fourth Accuser
The most-recent accuser, who, like the third accuser, goes by the name of “John Doe,” claims he and Clash first got together in 1995 or 1996, when he was 16 or 17, and Clash was in his mid-30s.
The lawsuit, which was filed in a New York federal court, states that Clash flew Doe in to the Big Apple and provided spending money and a place to stay. The man also claims that he and Clash, now 52, indulged in sexual escapades during his visits.
The lawsuit, which was obtained by TMZ, indicates that the latest alleged victim suffered emotional, mental, and psychological damages due to the then-taboo relationship he had with Clash.
Doe’s attorney, Jeff Herman, spoke to TMZ and contends, “According to our lawsuit, Kevin Clash knowingly paid to transport a minor across state lines for the purpose of satisfying his sexual interests.”
Clash has had three other accusers who have come forth publicly to allege they were all underage victims when they had sex with Clash. Thus far, only one, the first accuser, Sheldon Stephens, had accepted then rejected a six-figure settlement. The other two, Cecil Singleton, accuser No. 2, and the third, who is still anonymous, have also filed lawsuits against Clash.