When the network hosted him on Monday for an interview abou this new book "The Generals," host Jon Scott asked the author to weigh in on the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi.
Ricks said that he thought the incident had been "generally hyped by [Fox News] especially." He added, "I think the emphasis on Benghazi has been extremely political, partly because Fox is operating as the wing of the Republican Party."
At this point, Scott ended the interview with Ricks after about 90 seconds. Ricks said he thought the interview lasted about half the length as originally planned. He also said that a Fox News staffer called him rude after the segment.
On Tuesday, Ricks and Fox News were still feuding. Fox News' executive vp of news editorial Michael Clemente told the Hollywood Reporter that Ricks "apologized in our offices afterward but doesn’t have the strength of character to do that publicly."
Ricks denied an apology ever took place. In an email to the Hollywood Reporter, Ricks wrote, "Please ask Mr. Clemente what the words of my supposed apology were. I'd be interested to know. Frankly, I don't remember any such apology."
UPDATE: TVNewser spoke with Clemente, who told the site that he would "refresh [Ricks'] memory" on the apology. After the segment, Clemente said that Ricks told Fox News staffers, "Sorry…I’m tired from a non-stop book tour." Clemente added, "Perhaps now he can finally get some rest.”