Thursday, August 30, 2012

Black CNN Camerawoman Speaks Out About Peanut-Throwing Incident (I Don't Like How She Included Both Side When The Incident Clearly Shows What The Facts Are)

A black camerawoman for CNN is speaking out after she was assaulted at the Republican National Convention when two attendees began throwing nuts at her, saying “This is what we feed animals.”

Patricia Carroll is not interested in rehashing the incident, but she did offer some thoughts to the Maryland Institute. “This situation could happen to me at the Democratic convention or standing on the street corner. Racism is a global issue,” she said:

Carroll, 34, said that as an Alabama native, she was not surprised. “This is Florida, and I’m from the Deep South,” she said. “You come to places like this, you can count the black people on your hand. They see us doing things they don’t think I should do.” 
Carroll noted of the Republican convention, “There are not that many black women there.”[...] 
“I can’t change these people’s hearts and minds,” Carroll added. “No, it doesn’t feel good. But I know who I am. I’m a proud black woman. A lot of black people are upset. This should be a wake-up call to black people. . . . People were living in euphoria for a while. People think we’re gone further than we have.”

Caroll’s assessment that “you can count the black people on your hand” isn’t far off; only 2 percent of delegates at the RNC are African-American. When the Democratic Convention begins, an estimated 26 percent of the delegates will be black.

No comments:

Post a Comment